Monday, June 21, 2010

Austin Healey Sprite

When I was a kid in Ireland in the 1980s Austin did not  translate to sexy. An Austin on the road meant a crappy little granny-Metro, a rusted out Allegro or a boring as feck Montego. So when I see a car like an Austin-Healey Sprite, I can't help but think "where they hell did BMC go wrong?"

This Mark I Sprite, the bugeye, was parked right across the road from the Lotus 7 look-a-like. I'd bet the two owners were out together enjoying the open top driving and the weather in KC is perfect for it this week. And in the same area were two showroom perfect examples of a Miata and a convertible Corvette.

Power-wise the Sprite would be left behind by all these cars, including the Miata, but sitting still on a beautiful sunny day, the Sprite wins all the prizes.

No comments: