Friday, May 14, 2010

You Can Fix It...no one's gonna help

Our old truck, dubbed The Great White Hope affectionately by friends, sits around for weeks at a time gathering snow, bird poop, pollen, honey suckle flowers, wind-blown seeds, until someone calls and inevitable says "Hey, I was wondering, but could I borrow your truck." The call every truck owner learns by heart.

When I bought the truck I let all my friends know that the truck was there to be used, just put some gas in it and go. So when someone does give me a call it also gives me an excuse to lash a bit of sideways TLC on the G DUB H.

Today, I washed it and waxed between the rust spots, vacuumed the bench seat, Rain-Xed all the glass and polished the dash. Then I got carried away and started to clean inside the engine bay too, which is like the old phrase "polishing a turd."

A few months back my hood was sticking open and I asked some of my mechanically minded friends to see if they could fix it and brought it to Jiffy Lube, after all they do open a lot of hoods. Everyone offered their advice from "You need a new hood" to "Your hood needs readjusting, just need to take her off and bla, bla, bla..." Needless to say I did none of these things and drove around all Winter and Spring with it popped up an inch or two playing hell with my already shitty gas mileage. 

Then today I sprayed a dab of DW 40 into the locking mechanism and jiggled it about and slammed it down once or twice and then had the genius idea to tug on the inside hood catch. It clicked and I thought "Just maybe" and I slammed the hood down once more. Eu-fucking-reka it worked.

Fixing the hood gave me a great, smug sense of satisfaction, knowing that I let the Great White Hope survive for at least another round.
The Great White Hope...you know you want some

No comments: